Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Saluda Grade Railroad in HO

Welcome to my latest project railroad design. This one is a tribute to my wife who grew up in Saluda, NC, home to the steepest mainline grade in the country! It is a beautiful place, nestled in the foothills of North Carolina.

The purpose of this layout is not fancy trackwork. Sorry to disappoint you! The purpose of this project is to focus on scenery, namely bodies of water and fall colors. In the spring I am doing a clinic on modeling water and I need a demonstration module. Likewise, I am a bit rusty when it comes to fall scenery and there are a ton of new products on the market to play with.

Last night I was in Toccoa, GA along a small lake with the fall colors of red, yellow and gold emblazened on the trees. Late in the evening around dusk, with the stars twinkling in the sky and the lake as still as glass, the Amtrak Southern Crescent came rolling through the trees! It looked like a train layout to me.

So, the track and construction will be simple. Since it has to move to the Piedmont Divison for a clinic, it must be portable. So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment